|Des Moines Model A Plant|
Efforts were started in 1916 to locate a Ford assembly plant in Des Moines. The facility was completed at Nineteenth St and Grand Ave in 1920. The building is six stories in height with 233 feet frontage on Grand Ave and cost $420,000. Cars assembled in Des Moines were shipped throughout the western states and as far east as Cleveland, Ohio. In 1924 as many as 200 cars a day were assembled. By 1926, peak employment reached 1000 people.
Here is a picture of the plant back in the day:
In 1933 during the great depression, Ford discontinued operations. The building was then used as a parts distribution center and then was sold to Solar Aircraft Co. during WW II. Later the Des Moines school district bought the building and located Tech High School there. Today the building is known as Central Campus. On October 18, 1998 the Central Iowa Model A Club conducted a dedication ceremony of the old Ford Motor Company building with Governor Branstad and Superintendent Witherspoon in attendance.
This is a picture of the Plaque placed on the building during the dedication:
This site was last updated 06/07/13